The following jargon have been provided by the community. If you would like to contribute a jargon please click on the Add to Jargon Begone! button.
Why should I pledge?
6 out of 10 of people in Australia have low health literacy.
Many Australians have trouble understanding and using information provided by organisations. They also have trouble navigating complicated systems like healthcare services.
When we use jargon, technical terms or acronyms, it is hard for people with low health literacy to understand and use information.
Pledge and take part in activities at your workplace. Make it easy for people with low health literacy to get better information and outcomes from services they use.
Pledge to Drop the Jargon
- Use plain language in all communication – with other staff and with clients
- Not use acronyms
- Explain medical and other technical terminology
- Check that information has been understood by your clients
- Work with a professional interpreter when your clients have low English proficiency
- Politely point out when your colleagues use jargon